To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Why do I have to be a Member to get water service from Brown County Water Utility?

Brown County Water Utility, Inc., is an Indiana non-profit corporation 501 (c) (12), membership owned and organized to operate a rural water system in this area and Governed by a Membership Elected Board of Directors.

What is the cost of a New Membership?

The cost is $100.00 for a New Membership.  This is a lifetime membership good for any property you may purchase within the BCWU service area, if you remain in good standings with the utility.

What is the cost to get a New Meter Tap Connection?

The cost is $1,320.00 for a New 5/8” Residential Meter Tap Connection. 

**New Meter Tap connection fee for meters larger than 5/8” are calculated at actual cost of materials, plus installation. Please contact our office at 812-988-6611 for larger meter cost quote.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.  A customer may operate the Service Stop to turn off its water service in the event of an emergency, or for repairs to the customer's facilities with the Utility's permission. No customer or person not authorized by the Utility shall operate or access the Utility's property to initiate service or restore service after the service has been disconnected.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received your payment after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will attempt to help you solve your payment concern.

Who do I call if I have a water emergency?

If you have a water emergency afterhours, please call 812-988-6611, our answering service will assist you.  At Brown County Water Utility, we have a water professional on-call 7 days a week.

During normal business hours Monday ~ Friday between 8:30am ~ 4:30pm, please call our office at 812-988-6611.

Why do I need to provide an Easement

At application a "Member" agrees, if requested to do so at no cost to Brown County Water Utility, grant an easement across the "Member’s" property for a water main from Brown County Water Utility. During construction, Brown County Water Utility or its Contractors will repair damages at no expense to the applicant "Member", except any re-seeding.

Does Brown County Water Utility Operate the Local Sewer Systems (Gnaw Bone or Helmsburg)?

No, and BCWU is no longer a Billing and A/R collection service provider to the local sewer systems as of May 31, 2019. 

Please DO NOT send sewer payments to BCWU.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Systems that use chloramine as a disinfectant must maintain a level of 0.5 mg/L by state law. Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.